The title is more than self-explanatory in itself to give a few ideas about the further details stored in the further segments of the article. Nevertheless, for the sake of formality itself, let us begin with a definition and understanding of what we are going to discuss. Low volume, as the name suggests is the total opposite of bulk manufacturing. The more pertinent question over here, however, is that why any manufacturer in their right mind would actually prefer to go for low volume manufacturing services instead of bulk manufacturing, especially when the latter leads to more profit owing to the reduced cost due to buying off materials in bulk.
- In a world of constant changes, clients more often than not suddenly change their minds about some or the other aspect of their good. Altering the same on a low scale is easier and economical as compared to that in bulk production.
- Again, in a world with constant and new types of demands, the need to satisfy customer wishes is always the priority. As such, keeping the market stocked with the appropriate inventory and stock becomes tedious as hell if the manufacturers insist on bulk production.
- Money is obviously the cause of all things. Every individual is always running behind money making it a very sensitive issue. And so, investing a lot of it in a single go in bulk productions always puts it at a risk until being delivered. Low volume manufacturing in that aspect thus keeps the investor money at risk for time durations that are acceptable to them as well.
Some of the fields that utilize low volume manufacturing services fully fledged are:
Injection Molding manufacturing companies are some of the biggest consumers of low-volume manufacturing services because-
- Plastic if and when exposed to the atmosphere for prolonged times without being maintained start giving off smells and showing signs of bacterial and fungal growth- getting rid of which is only a whole other set of overheads.
- For nature-friendly purposes too. Plastics, as we all know, are only a bane for nature owing to them taking millions of years to decompose. Hence the mass production of the same (when not needed) and polluting the atmosphere at the same time is totally senseless.
Another field that makes intensive use of low-volume manufacturing services is Injection Molding die making. This field is the partner in crime of injection molding manufacturing companies for the tools used to produce plastic and plastic parts actually come out of the molding die making companies. The terminology over here (particularly between molds and die) is really confusing, so let us try and clear some of them:
- A mold can be considered to be a cavity that is used to produce products (plastic, metal, or anything else)
- A die is nothing but a block of metal that conforms to a particular and special shape that is used for giving shape to other pieces of tools and products.